Thursday, August 6, 2009

IVF Counseling Appointment Scheduling - August 5, 2009

Part of the IVF process mandates a counseling appointment due to all of the stresses of the process. We were given a name and phone number of a counselor that is not employed by Ohio Reproductive Medicine (ORM), but who comes out there two days a week to hold appointments. In any case, for some reason, I thought that the appointments were in the evenings. I suppose that I thought that because the clinic holds appointment hours until 7 PM nightly. They're used to working around their client's needs. So when I was offered appointment times of 9:30 AM or 2:00 PM, I was pretty surprised. I wasn't planning on it being a daytime appointment at all! So that left my husband and I with the choice of missing work or missing work. Hmmm, that's a great stress reliever! Glad we have this mandatory session that we have to attend during work hours that is not near either of our places of work. What a relief! For a second I thought that stress relief would be convenient!

_____________________________________________
Update - The counselor called another client who had a more flexible schedule and moved her appointment to 2:00, so we are now scheduled for 3:15. It's still not perfect, but my husband can flex his schedule an hour earlier without too much trouble and still make it out for this appointment time. I, of course, will still have to miss some work, but my job allows for a bit more flexibility. So all's well that ends well. Or something.

2 comments:

AwesomeCloud and family said...

Can you ask for an appointment the next week? Or the week after? I keep on trying to make appointments (mostly dental these days) and run into a standard pattern. The scheduler offers me an appointment at an inconvenient time and then waits expectantly for me to say yes. I say, "That's inconvenient." She continues to wait for me to say yes. Then I ask, "What else have you got?"

"Oh, nothing," she says. "Not till the next week."

"Okay, what's available the next week?"

"Oh! Um! Well, let's see! I have three appointments, all at inconvenient times! Would you like one of those?"

"Check the week after," I say.

She seems confused. "Uh...? Okay. Yeah, that week is wide open, including the hours you originally said you were available."

"Great!" I say. "I'll take Wednesday at 7 PM." And suddenly everything's fine.

pixnlil said...

Hahaha! Right! " . . . all at inconvenient times!" So true, so true!