Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How quickly things change - August 2nd, 2011

So things have changed drastically since I last posted a little over 2 weeks ago.

1. I am no longer employed. I have become a full-time stay at home mom. It doesn't really feel real just yet. I've only been doing this job for 2 days and it is exhausting, but fulfilling, work.

2. IUI #2(5) was a BFN, which was totally expected.

3. We had our IVF consultation today. The expectation was that we were doing IUI #3(6) this cycle and next cycle we would begin IVF. However, Dr. RE told us today that we need to do another test this time for the IVF since I have carried a pregnancy. They want to check my uterus to make sure it is still in good shape and that I have no cysts. Apparently it is common for the uterus to change permanently following a successful pregnancy and delivery. The problem with this is the timing. I will be on vacation the rest of this week and Dr. RE is on vacation all next week, and he wants to do the test himself. I would be having the next IUI somewhere in the second half of next week, and the test cannot be performed after the IUI because if there was an embryo or an early pregnancy, the solution used in the test would wash it away. So, we had to decide whether to do IUI #3 and put of IVF for another month, or to skip IUI #3 to keep the IVF cycle on track. The IVF timing would mean that we start meds for suppression around the beginning of September, with stimulation beginning in October, and an egg retrieval around the middle of October. That cycle would end around the end of October. That is 3 months from now, and that is the absolute soonest we can get there. If we tack on another month for the IUI and the test, that means the end of November. We talked it over, and although it's hard to make the call, we've decided to pass on IUI #3. It was hard to do, since that was our magic number the first time in ttc, but the odds are even lower this time. We are at a .5% chance of success with our numbers where they are now. With IVF-ICSI, we are at a 44 - 56% chance of success, depending on if we transfer 1 or 2 embryos. I'll talk about those details more later, as it is getting late and we leave on vacation early in the morning. So, we are out for this cycle, with a chance for success of a natural cycle somewhere around 0.001%. That makes me very sad, and I am very nervous about IVF. It is scary to think about the process and how invasive it is, but it is our best shot at getting a sibling for RoBet and a second sweet baby for us. So, that's the plan. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

AwesomeCloud and family said...

I'm reading somebody else's blog who juuuust switched to IVF. (She has no children yet.) She just posted that her numbers went way up and she has a whole garden of follicles ready. So maybe IVF really is worth the extra bother? It seems to be looking that way for her.