Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Blood Draw Numbers - September 4th, 2009

I received a call from my RE's nurse on Friday morning. She had some interesting information for me. First, my Progesterone level went through the roof! It had been approximately 9 and 11 before (I'm not sure what units these are, sorry!). This time it was 28.6! Now, this caused me to get my hope up. I shouldn't let it, because a high progesterone level is not a guarantee of pregnancy - it can simply indicate a strong ovulation. However, when a woman is pregnant, her progesterone level shoots up to provide the embryo with nutrients. The general rule is that the numbers double from what is normal for the woman in the first trimester, normally putting the level between 15 and 90. So this result really excited me, as it was 2 - 3 times what I've had before!

The other test that was done was a check of my Thyroid level. I have hypothyroid syndrome, meaning that my thyroid isn't active enough, so I take medicine to regulate it and keep it functioning normally. Ideally the thyroid level should be around a 3 or 4 (again, I don't know what units these numbers are in), but as high as a 5 is acceptable. In any case, my result came back at an 8.51 this time. Waaaaay up! Not good. So my RE's nurse told me to call my family doctor right away (the one who prescribes my thyroid regulation medicine) and get my prescription changed. The problem here is that a hypo active thyroid can cause miscarriage in pregnancy, so if I ever manage to become pregnant, I could miscarry if this isn't fixed. I called my doctor right away, since there is a possibility that I'm pregnant now (however slim) and proceeded to play phone tag with them on Friday, resulting in no information. I decided to just double my medication at home until I heard otherwise. I get my prescription in a 90-day supply, so I have enough medicine to take two pills a day until I am able to talk to my family doctor. As of today (Tuesday), I'm still playing phone tag with the nurses. Fun.

So, mixed news. Some good, some bad, but nothing spectacularly so. The real downer is that yesterday (Monday Sept 7th), I started to get pre-period cramps. I went from being very hopeful to about 99% certain that I'm not pregnant in the span of about 10 minutes. Meh. I guess I'll be on to IVF-ICSI after all. I'm really not looking forward to it. And I'm getting very bitter about the whole thing. I just can't seem to be positive about things right now, so I'll stop talking before I get myself in trouble. Goodnight folks.

No comments: