Friday, September 11, 2009

First Beta Results - 9/11/2009

My blood was drawn yesterday to check my beta levels. This test checks the amount of hCG you have in your system. hCH is the pregnancy hormone, FYI. At 4 weeks (like I am now) anything over a 5 indicates a pregnancy. A low result (less than 50) is something that you should consider worrying about, since it can indicate a weak pregnancy that might not be viable. Anything higher than that is great! The real check comes though, when you have a second test to compare it to. The level should double every 48 - 72 hours. My first beta was Thursday 9/10, and the result came back this morning at 233! That's indicative of a good strong singleton pregnancy! Yay! That's my first hint that I probably just have one baby in there. Usually, if you have multiples, the level is significantly higher (probably 300 - 400+ on a first beta). Of course, it's not completely ruled out until they do the first ultrasound, which for me will be in 2 or 3 weeks. I guess I can ask them about it on Tuesday when I get the second beta results back.

I'm so excited now. I can barely believe that this is happening, but it's starting to sink in. I couldn't even focus or pay attention today, so I had to take the day off work. I guess I'm saving 5 vacation days this year that I would have been taking for the IVF, so I have to use them or loose them! More to come later, I need to go get some food!

1 comment:

AwesomeCloud and family said...

Wahoooo!

I can barely contain the double excitement! Actually, it's easy enough to pile one excitement on top of the other. Yay, babies for everyone!