Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Off topic - Maggie - October 4th, 2011

One of our sweet dogs, Maggie, died Monday night.  She was 9 and was my husband's first dog of his own.  He got her when we'd been dating for about 6 months and she and I fought and fought over those first few years.  Heh.  She was a Scottish terrier, and they are all about being at the head of the 'pack', so she wanted to make sure I knew my place.  She let me know that she was above me by ripping up my expensive fancy bras when I slept over, chewing my CDs, books, DVDs, just about anything she could get her teeth on.  She proceeded to cost us thousands in damages on my husband's first house from tearing up carpet, chewing drywall, chewing wood steps and baseboards, and peeing all over the place, forcing us to replace all of the carpet in every room.  But I wouldn't have traded her for anything.  Around age 3, she calmed down and was the best dog anyone could ask for.  She was loyal, loving, and had that 'sixth sense' some pets do about when to cuddle with us, when we were hurt or sad, etc.  She was so much fun and loved to play - she would run after toys and give them the 'death shake' when she caught them.  She was so tolerant of RoBet even though she is a rough-and-tumble toddler.  Maggie would run after us when we'd be pushing RoBet in her Cozy Coupe car and RoBet would laugh and laugh.  I have so many good memories of Maggie, and I already miss her so much.  It's strange how in a house with a toddler and 8 pets, the loss of just one can make it feel so empty.  Feeding time is the worst time.  Maggie loved feeding time.  I would get so mad at her because she'd stick her giant schnoze in and try to (often successfully) steal some of the other dogs' food.  I would bop her on the nose with the scoop and she would love it because it left a dog-food powder on there that she would lick off.  I wish so much that she was still here to steal their food.  I wish she was here so I could give her extra food.  I'd make her whatever she wanted if she could be here for just one more day.  It's hard in a house with so many 'people' around, because you never feel like you've given each of them enough attention and love.  I just hope she knew how much she was loved, and that her death wasn't terribly painful. 

It caught us fairly off guard.  About a month ago, she had suddenly become severely lethargic and turned away from food and water.  She wouldn't move, eat, or drink.  I called the vet and got her in on an emergency appointment that same day.  The docs found that she was anemic, but the physical exam showed nothing.  Further bloodwork showed nothing out of the ordinary other than the anemia - no cancer or anything.  So, we had 2 bottles of pills to give her.  She was eating a little that night, and like normal the next day.  Within a couple of days, she was moving around almost like before, though a bit slower and less lively to be sure.  We helped her up and down stairs a bit for the next few weeks, but she seemed much better.  We figured she probably was getting some arthritis due to old age, so we ordered some glucosamine online.  It didn't make it in time.  Monday night, again very suddenly, she took a rapid turn for the worst.  Just before 7:00 PM, she pooped on the floor right next to RoBet and I as we were playing.  Hubby cleaned the poop and I took Maggie upstairs.  Hubby took her out, and I didn't think much more of it as I watched RoBet.  Hubby called down that she was laying outside and not moving, which is exactly what she had done for me a month before.  I told him that, and went online trying to do some more research.  He called me upstairs, and I saw Maggie trying to walk across the floor, but stumble and fall down, panting and gasping.  Hubby ran down to get the vet's number.  It was about 7:05.  After a few calls back and forth to the vet and waiting about 15 minutes, we knew it was bad.  Maggie was nearly catatonic.  We took turns petting, hugging, and kissing her and trying to sooth her.  RoBet picked up on our anxiety and was screaming and crying.  I put her to bed, and I called the vet back, tired of waiting for their return call.  They said the on-call vet was on his way in, and we should bring her in.  Hubby did so, but we knew it was the end.  I kissed her one more time, and he took her off.  She stopped breathing a few times on the way in.  Her heart nearly stopped when she arrived.  The nurse massaged it to bring her back, but that didn't help.  The doc gave medicines to restart her heart, but they didn't work.  By 8:15, Hubby was home without Maggie.  In an hour and 15 minutes, it was all over, just that fast.  She was only 9.  The doctor thinks it was probably an enlarged heart and lungs that resulted in a heart attack.  She had had a perfect annual checkup in June.  No issues.  Lively, healthy, full of energy and spirit. 

Maggie is gone, and the rest of us are left to go on without our 'pack leader'.  I could go on even longer about how sad we are, but I guess I've vented enough.  Next post will be back on topic, I promise.  Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.  Goodbye Maggie.  We love you and miss you more than you will ever know.


Toni Rapp said...

Im sorry for your loss. My animals are truly like family members and get treated better then most of my family, lol. Keeping you in my thoughts.

pixnlil said...

Thank you Toni. We really miss her so much already.

GDad said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you, Husband, and RoBet.